Jerry Nicholson has been handling criminal defense cases in Los Angeles, Orange County and all across California for well over three decades. The team of defenders that makes up the Law Offices of Jerry Nicholson is dedicated to an expedient and thorough trial or negotiation process for every client. We are trained to use every tool and state-wide resource available to ensure the best possible outcome in each case. We are offering this annual scholarship to the rising generation of lawyers that is equally or increasingly as aggressive and passionate about defending a community that would otherwise be left to the mercy of a legal system that will not likely work in their favor. This scholarship is for those individuals that are motivated and enthusiastic to work for something greater than themselves.
No Fee To Apply!
All applicants that meet the following criteria are welcome to apply to this 2016 scholarship offer:
- U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident of the United States
- Must be currently enrolled as a part-time or full-time undergraduate or graduate student
- Must intend to pursue a law degree
- Cannot have earned in excess of $35,000 in 2015
- Have an active e-mail address
Essay Topics & Submission Types
The road to and through law school can have a lot of curves and bumps and maybe even detours. It’s not for the faint of heart. Tell us about the fire for law that burns in you that will keep you galvanized along your journey. Who or what influenced you to study law? Are you already confident on an area of practice or a state of practice, for that matter? Do you see yourself in an international courtroom? Is there any injustice you’re passionate about combatting through the power that your law degree will give you? In short, why do you want to go to law school?
Essay – PDF or Word document (.pdf, .doc, .docx)
Write a 500-word essay addressing the topic described above. Essays must be typewritten, double-spaced, and 12-point font.
Winner Selection & Recognition
The scholarship winner’s submission, 500-word bio and photo will be featured on our website for up to one full year! This additional recognition will serve as an opportunity for potential employers to view your accomplishment on our website. We receive traffic from individuals of all walks of life and all fields of expertise! Whatever your area of interest, being featured on our website can lead a professional in a relative field to take note of your success. Additionally, it’ll give your family one more thing to be proud of!
Submissions will be accepted between September 1, 2016 and December 10th, 2016 at 12:00AM EST.
- Read the eligibility requirements to see if you or someone you know qualifies
- Prepare your submission
- Follow the guidelines for formatting and submission
- Submit your entry via e-mail
- Monitor your e-mail immediately following the scholarship deadline
- E-mail application entries to: email@example.com then add our email address to your safe recipient list within your e-mail provider to ensure you are able to receive notification if you are selected as a winner. Please include in your submission email: your full name, age, phone number, and mailing address. Submissions cannot be the property or contain the property of others and cannot contain explicit content. Each submission will be judged on an individual basis.
The 2016 Jerry Nicholson Law Scholarship winner will be selected one week following the submission deadline. The winner will receive an e-mail with instructions for receiving acknowledgment and the scholarship award funds.
Commonly Asked Questions
Will I have a better chance of winning if I plan to become a criminal defense attorney?
No. This scholarship is to encourage students that aspire to practice any area of law.
Will I have a better chance of winning if I plan to practice law in the state of California?
No. There is no geographical preference for this scholarship. All U.S. students are welcome to apply.
If I win, how will I receive the scholarship?
Certified U.S. mail.
Can I submit more than one entry?
No. Only one entry per person will be accepted.
What if I don’t have an e-mail address?
If you do not have an e-mail address, there are free services available to you i.e. Yahoo and Gmail.
Do I need to cite the sources I used for my essay?
No. Essays are not required to include a works cited or references page, however, a plagiarism audit will be conducted. Only original works will be accepted.
- It is a general rule of thumb when conducting research to keep track of sources found and used. However, as part of applying for the scholarship, we do not require each submission be accompanied by a works cited page but, we do require each applicant keep and maintain an accurate record of sources used.
What if I want to revise and re-submit my entry?
If you submit your essay early and later desire revise and re-submit it, you may do so as along as it is before the deadline, December 10th, 2016 at 12:00AM EST. If you accidentally send an older draft of your essay or the wrong file and realize it later, you also may re-submit before the deadline. Maximum: 1 resubmission.
If you have any additional questions, e-mail them to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “2016 Jerry Nicholson Law Scholarship Inquiry”. Only e-mailed inquiries will be answered.